Tag: ACCIDENTS $ CONFLICTS

ATHLONE GRANDPA, GRANDDAUGHTER IN HOSPITAL FOLLOWING DOG ATTACK

 

Eye Witness NewsPicture: pixabay.com

CAPE TOWN – An Athlone man and his three-year-old granddaughter are recovering in hospital after they were attacked by dogs.

The two dogs mauled Aubrey and little Emma Murphy at the family’s home on Tuesday.

Aubrey was at home with his three-year-old twin granddaughters.

It’s believed he heard a noise coming from his backyard and went outside to inspect.

Family member Cliff Augustyn explains what happened next.

“Emma ran ahead of him. I believe the two dogs attacked Emma first and then her grandfather covered Emma with his body. That’s when the dogs attacked him.”

The three-year-old girl was rushed to hospital.

Paramedics attended to her grandfather on the scene, and he was later transported to a medical facility.

Both relatives have since undergone surgery and are in a stable condition.

PHOTO:  pixabay.com

RAPE ADDED TO CHARGES OF CAPE TOWN MAN ACCUSED OF MURDERING TODDLER IN KENSINGTON

Eye Witness News

Picture: SAPS.

CAPE TOWN – A man accused of murdering his girlfriend’s 18-month-old son in Kensington now also faces a charge of rape.

Ameerudien Peters made his second appearance in the Cape Town Magistrate’s Court on

MALI TOURIST RESORT ATTACK: 2 DEAD IN TERROR STRIKE, 4 ASSAILANTS GUNNED DOWN NEAR CAPITAL

Livemint

“We were able to rescue nearly 36 guests and workers from the resort”, including around 15 French nationals and a similar number of Malians, says Mali security minister Salif Traore. Photo: AP

BAMAKO – Suspected jihadists crying ‘Allahu Akbar’ stormed the Kangaba resort popular with foreigners on the edge of Malian capital Bamako on Sunday, seizing more than 30 hostages

Four assailants have been killed by security forces in Mali after an attack on a tourist resort popular with foreigners close to the

2 DIE ON WESTERN CAPE ROADS, SEVEN DRUNK DRIVERS ARRESTED

Eye Witness News

Picture: Supplied

CAPE TOWN – Two people have died on Western Cape roads since the start of the long weekend.

Traffic officials have arrested seven drunk drivers during roadblocks conducted across the province.

Fines totalling more than R110 have been issued to motorists.

Provincial Traffic Chief Kenny Africa said, “This morning there was a head-on collision on the N7.”

PHOTO: Supplied

CHEICK TIOTE’S AGENT PLEADS WITH MEDIA TO STOP SPECULATIONS SURROUNDING DEATH

The CitizenCheick Tiote. Photo: Liu Yinghui/Imaginechina/AFP.

There have been various unsubstantiated reports over the circumstances of the late Ivory Coast and Newcastle player’s sudden death.

The agent of the late Ivory Coast midfielder Cheick Tiote on Wednesday called for the media to cease

PRESIDENT ZUMA ATTENDS FUNERAL OF FIREFIGHTER, PROMISES SUPPORT FOR VICTIMS

FILE: Fire crews battle flare-ups in the Knysna mountains using both helicopters and ground teams. Picture: Thomas Holder/EWN

CAPE TOWN – President Jacob Zuma on Thursday afternoon attended the funeral service of a volunteer firefighter in Plettenberg Bay.

24-year-old Bradley Richards was one of seven people who lost their lives due to wildfires across the Southern Cape.

Clean-up operations are currently underway in the Garden Route towns as authorities count the cost of the devastation.

Richards sustained 70% burn wounds to his body when the fire reportedly turned on his crew in the Harkerville forest.

He died in a George hospital on Friday.

Speaking at Richard’s funeral, President Zuma gave the assurance government will do all it can to help those affected.

“This has been the biggest fire. We have seen the places where it has taken place. It was the wind, fire that really devastated.”

Over the weekend, 63-year-old volunteer firefighter John Blaauw also died of injuries sustained, while a woman succumbed to her injuries while being treated at Tygerberg Hospital.

Her three-year-old daughter died last week.

PHOTO: Fire crews battle flare-ups in the Knysna mountains using both helicopters and ground teams. Picture: Thomas Holder/EWN

30 IN POLICE NET OVER LINK IN CAPE TOWN ‘ILLEGAL TAXI’ PROTEST

CAPE TOWN – At least 30 arrests were made early Thursday morning as taxi operators shut down Prince George Drive for the second day to protest against illegal operators on their route.

On Wednesday, shortly after 10am several taxis blocked off Prince George Drive at the Military Road intersection in an attempt to stop illegal taxis from operating between Vrygrond and Blue Route Mall.

Jay-Jay Maans, chairperson of the Retreat Taxi Association (RTA), said they have had enough of illegal operators, who are allegedly members of the Vrygrond Taxi Association (VTA), “stealing their business”.

“This problem has been going on since 2009 and government has done nothing to intervene or put a stop to it. We have about 95 drivers and guards who are losing out on income and they have stolen almost 70% of our business,” he says.

Tyres burning and road blocked cnr prince george drive and joe marks blvd#taxistrike

Steenberg ROAD CLOSED between Concert Boulevard and Vrygrond Avenue due to TAXI VIOLENCE MILITARY ROAD – Both Ways

Authorities were on the scene, and the drivers later dispersed peacefully at 12:30pm.

Transport department spokesperson, Siphesihle Dube, says the Provincial Transport Registrar has instituted disciplinary action against the VTA for contravening the code of conduct for taxi associations by taking on unregistered and unlicensed members, flooding routes with illegal operators and preventing legal operators from RTA from entering certain areas.

“VTA has used every opportunity to delay, frustrate and hinder the Registrar’s process, with their latest attempt, in last week, being a request for a High Court order to stop the process.”

“This attempt was unsuccessful, with the High Court dismissing VTA’s case and the department securing a cost order against the association,” said Dube.

Cape Town Traffic Principal Inspector Maxine Bezuidenhout confirmed Thursday morning’s incident and said all roads have since been reopened, and will continue to be monitored by police.

“All roads along Price George Drive have been reopened. Law enforcement are currently monitoring the area. Approximately 30 protesters were detained (on Thursday morning) and taken to SAPS,” she said.

TRAFFIC: DUNE COLLAPSE CLOSES BLOUBERG BEACH, INJURES CITY OFFICIAL

cape boat cruise

WEST COAST – People wanting to take a stroll at the Sandy beach at Big Bay near Bloubergstrand  will have to put their plans on hold for a while following the collapse of a dune at the beach.

Tygerburger reports that the collapse, in which an employee of the City of Cape was injured, occurred on Thursday 8 June and led the Authorities to close off the beach to members of the public until further notice. The City employee, who was busy with assessment of the beach area following last week’s storm, was standing on the dune when it collapsed. He was taking to hospital.

The official was discharged the same evening and is currently recuperating at home. He sustained minor injuries and hurt his back.

“We are so thankful that this was not as serious as we initially thought. However, this prompted us to close the area to the public,” says Nora Grose, Councilor for ward 23.

In a statement issued by City of Cape Town, beach-goers are advised to refrain from visiting the area.

“The City of Cape Town has closed off public access to Big Bay beach until the stability of the dune has been established,” the statement reads.

PHOTO: Beach-goers advised to refrain from visiting beaches around Blouberg and Big Bay after Dune collapse. Image supplied.

OVER 50 MINI BUS TAXIS BLOCKING CAPE TOWN ROAD AT MUIZENBERG IN APPARENT PROTEST.

News24

(Duncan Alfreds, News24)

MUIZENBERG  – About 50 minibus taxis blocked a main road near Muizenberg in an apparent protest on Wednesday morning, Cape Town traffic officials said.

Prince George Drive was closed in both directions at Military Road as a result, said the city’s traffic services principal inspector Maxine Jordaan.

She advised motorists to use Main Road as an alternative route.

Provincial traffic chief Kenny Africa warned people to stay out of the area.

Police did not immediately respond to a request for further information.

On Tuesday, a group of gunmen opened fire in a drive-by shooting on the same road.

The shooting from a Toyota Camry took place in the nearby suburb of Capricorn, said Cape Town Mayoral Committee Member for safety and security, JP Smith.

Nobody was injured and it was not clear who the shooters were targeting.

The men fled the scene.

Western Cape police also confirmed a nearby shooting in St Christopher Street, Lavender Hill on Tuesday evening.

A 16-year-old boy was shot in the head and right shoulder. He was rushed to hospital.

No arrests had yet been made.

 

PHOTO: (Duncan Alfreds, News24)

%d bloggers like this: