CAPE TOWN – The City of Cape Town will receive over R20-million from the National Disaster Management Centre to assist in its efforts to combat a critical drought.
Mayor Patricia de Lille said the grant will provide emergency relief for the drilling of boreholes, pumps and pipeline installations. She said this will help supplement the water supply.
Cape Town was declared a local disaster area in March.
The Mother City is gripped in its worst drought in a century. Winter rainfall has fallen well below expectations.
On Monday, the city’s dam levels stood at just over 32 percent.
This is well below the nearly 58% recorded during the same period last year.
Officials imposed level 4B restrictions, limiting residents’ water usage to less than 87-litres per person per day.