BLAME GAME: DA, RULING ANC BLAME EACH OTHER AS CULPRIT FOR THE PREVAILING CAPE TOWN DROUGHTS

News24wire

SAM_2027

CAPE TOWN – Democratic Alliance and African National Congress MPLs took turns in blaming each other over the causes of the Western Cape drought.The Western Cape legislature debated the crippling effects of the current drought in the province on Continue reading

Advertisements

CAPE TOWN CYBER ATTACK VICTIM WARNS IT COULD HAPPEN TO ANYONE

Eye Witness News

Picture: pixabay.com

CAPE TOWN – A Cape Town resident who fell victim to a cyber attack has warned South Africans should not think it can’t happen to them.

Daniel Jacobs, an employee at a Cape Town company, says they recently experienced a similar attack to the one which has swept global companies on Tuesday.

A major ransomware attack caused havoc across the world, crippling computers and halting operations of the companies it struck.

Russia’s biggest oil company, Ukrainian banks and multinational firms were among those who were hit.

Jacobs says the attack happened after he used a personal computer to connect to the company’s network at the beginning of June.

“Coming into the office I logged on and couldn’t access anything. A message came up that all the data had been encrypted and to acquire the release key pay them 4.06 bit coins and at the time it equated to about R60,000.”

He says it took them two weeks to “redo” their computers after they decided not to pay the bribe.

This advice is also shared by International Security Software Company Kaspersky Lab, saying paying the ransom assists in funding further attacks.

Kaspersky’s Vyacheslav Zakorzhevsky says it is very difficult to trace the culprits.

“We see that it encrypts several very sophisticated techniques and tools. And our opinion is that skilful developers were involved to create this malware and lots of money was invested.”

PHOTO: pixabay.com

TWO KILLED IN CAPE TOWN’S ‘GANG PARADISE’

Times Live

Gun. File photo

CAPE TOWN – Two men thought to be gang leaders were killed within minutes of each other in separate shootings in Cape Town on Wednesday night.

Police said two men were shot dead in their vehicle in a parking area at Pinelands shopping centre. One of them is believed to have been Marwaan Desai, allegedly leader of The Nice Time Kids.

“Two men fled the scene in a white Hyundai Tucson,” said police spokesman Lieutenant-Colonel Andre Traut.

Five minutes earlier, a 23-year-old, thought to be the gang leader known as “Bassier”, was killed in Bontheuwel, east of Pinelands.

A spate of recent shootings in Cape Town is thought to be related to a turf war being waged between drug dealers on the Cape Flats.

The Sunday Times reported last month that security experts believed there was a link between increasing violence on the flats and competition for security contracts at nightclubs in the city.

Suspected gang boss Jerome “Donkie” Booysen was shot in the neck following two shooting incidents outside nightclubs in Camps Bay and the CBD.

On Friday last week a man believed to be 30-year-old Mario Swarts, whom the Sunday Times interviewed in May, was killed in Elsies River. Swarts had told the Sunday Times that he was a member of The Bad Boys. He was said to be the gang’s assassin.

CCTV footage from a shop near the suspected hideout of The Bad Boys gang, on Twelfth Avenue, Leonsdale, shows Swarts being shot repeatedly at point-blank range.

Sources say the police are on the alert for revenge attacks.

 

 

PHOTO: Gun. File photo Image: Gallo Images/Thinkstock