WATER CUT-OFF LETTER IS A ‘FABRICATION’

FILE: HELEN ZILLE



 

Cape Town – Western Cape Premier Helen Zillle’s office says a message on social media warning of a looming two-day water cut-off is a hoax.

Her office issued a statement yesterday in response to the circulation on social media of what appears to be an official letter from the City of Cape Town under Zille’s name, saying water would be cut off on March 29 and 30.

The letter reads: “The entire water system of Cape Town and surrounding areas will shut down in order to facilitate the new upgrades to the reservoir.”

Zille’s spokesperson Michael Mpofu said: “This letter does not come from the premier’s office. Premier Zille is the head of the provincial government and not the City of Cape Town. She cannot sign off on City circulars.

“We urge residents to ignore this false letter and its message. We also discourage anyone from sharing it on social media.”

The Western Cape’s water supply is dwindling because of a lack of rain. Mpofu said the average water level for dams in the province had dropped to 31%.

“The province is going through a difficult period of drought, and false messages are harmful as they have the potential to incite panic,” he said.

Last month, a hoax did the rounds on WhatsApp, warning of level 4 water restrictions.

Mpofu cautioned against wasting water.

“The call remains for residents to reduce consumption.”

 

WEEKEND ARGUS/Iol News

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s