Month: February 2017

Outbreak of ‘Fall army worm’ confirmed at farms in North West

ABOVE: Farmers affected by the fall army worn in Moses Kotane local municipality attended the launch of the fall army worn control programmed in Magong near Rustenburg on Saturday. The programme aims to create awareness and educate farmers about the fall army worm and control options. Photo: ANA/Iol News


Rustenburg – Two incidents of fall army worm (FAW) infestation have been confirmed in the North West, the rural, environment, and agricultural development department said.

The FAW infestation was confirmed at farms around Mogwase in the Moses Kotane local municipality and at Brits in the Madibeng local municipality.

In a bid to fight the worm invasion the department launched the FAW control programmed in Magong near Rustenburg on Saturday to create awareness and educate farmers about the worm and control options.

Mpho Sekgala from the national department of agriculture, forestry, and fisheries said the problem with the FAW was that it had a wide host range which affected crops such as maize, sorghum, soybeans, groundnuts, and potatoes.

Sekgala said the department would assist farmers with technical information and control options and continue with assessment of spread and damage awareness.

“Farmers should work hand in hand with the department for technical advice on chemicals before using any,” he said.

One of the farmers, Christopher Sefara, said he started planting in December and three weeks later he saw a lot of birds and butterflies around the farm.

“According to my knowledge an increased number of birds on the farm may be an indication of army worm. We had not yet experienced great damage because in my opinion the department is making an effort to assist us and we are very grateful for their support.”

Confirmation of FAW presence brings automatic activation of the contingency plan developed by the department. In line with this plan funds have been set aside for buying pesticides to assist affected farmers.

North West premier Supra Mahumapelo said it had been agreed with the national department to use the agricultural support grant to help farmers affected by the worm.

“We have already reached an agreement with the national department of agriculture and forestry to utilise our comprehensive agricultural support grant to assist farmers for effective control of army worm in Bojanala and Ngaka Modiri Molema districts,” he said during his State of the Province address on Friday.

 

 

Iol News

WICKED! Man kills girlfriend, stabs her mother before hanging himself

 

ABOVE: File photo


 

Polokwane – Police in Seshego, Polokwane, are investigating a murder, attempted murder, and an inquest following an incident on Saturday night and Sunday morning, Limpopo police said.

“It is alleged that a 41-year-old man went to his girlfriend’s parental home at about [9.30pm] and on arrival he broke the door of the house, entered, and started stabbing the girlfriend, killing her instantly, and further stabbed the girlfriend’s mother and left the scene,” Lt-Col Moatshe Ngoepe said.

Responding to the incident, the police found the 30-year-old girlfriend with multiple stab wounds lying in a pool of blood in the bedroom. Her mother was seriously wounded and was taken to hospital for medical treatment.

“[A] police manhunt for the suspect ensued until in the early hours of today [Sunday] when he was found hanging and dead at a distance away from where he killed his girlfriend. Cases of murder, attempted murder, and inquest were opened and the motive behind this senseless killing is unknown but domestic violence cannot be ruled out. Police investigations are still continuing.

 

Iol News

Check out Stunning brand new Nokia 3310 that hit the market( photos)

ABOVE: Arto Nummela, Chief Executive Officer at HMD Global, shows the new re-launched Nokia 3310 phone, ahead of the opening of the Mobile World Congress wireless show in Barcelona, Spain. Photo: Emilio Morenatti/AP/Iol News


 

Sydney – Referred to as “the unbreakable phone,” the Nokia 3310 has been relaunched worldwide on Monday, to the delight of nostalgic tech enthusiasts.

With popular games like snake, huge battery life and an affordable price tag, the product sold 126 million units worldwide, making it the most popular phone in the late 90’s and early 2000’s.

Finland-based HMD Global is re-launching the simple Nokia 3310 model along with unveiling three new devices at Mobile World Congress. Photo: Emilio Morenatti/AP

“I think it was the simplicity,” UNSW, School of Electrical Engineering Professor, Jinhong Yuan told Xinhua.

But Monday’s launch in Spain, has hit a snag with the Australian market, because the new sleeker model is designed for 2G networks, which are in the midst of being phased out in Australia as the network is updated to 3G.

Nokia 3310 device is displayed after its presentation ceremony at Mobile World Congress in Barcelona. Photo: Reuters

The Finnish brand, now backed by electronics firm Foxconn, did state that they will tailor the phone to individual markets, whether that includes Australia however is unclear.

“It depends on quite a few issues, for the phone to be working in the Australian environment it will have to be certified with Australia’s frequency band regulation,” Yuan said. “Mobile phones use different frequency bands in different countries, it depends on different standardisations.”

Attendants check the newly re-launched Nokia 3310 phone, during a Nokia presentation in Barcelona, Spain. Photo: Emilio Morenatti/AP

Updates to the device will include a colour screen, camera, a micro SD card slot and the ability to play MP3s.

“The love for the brand is immense. It gets a lot of affection from millions and millions of people,” Nokia Chief Executive Rajeev Suri said at the launch.

But the marketing strategy to reintroduce a 17 year old phone, doesn’t have everyone convinced.

“HMD (Nokia) owns a retro hit and is surfing on the ‘vintage’ hype to re-create buzz around the Nokia brand,” Forrester Research consumer devices analyst, Thomas Husson said.

 

 

Iol News

SHOKING! 2ND BODY FOUND ON TABLE MOUNTAIN WITHIN A WEEK

Table Mountain Cape Town. Picture: Wikimedia Commons.ABOVE: Table Mountain in Cape Town. Picture: Wikimedia Commons/Eye Witness News


 

CAPE TOWN – A second body has been found on Table Mountain within the space of a week.

Hikers found the body of an unidentified man on the mountain on Sunday morning.

The cause of death is unknown at this stage.

Last Sunday, officials retrieved the body of an Icelandic teenager.

He fell to death at Platteklip Gorge.

HIKER AIRLIFTED

Meanwhile, Table Mountain National Park has urged hikers to prepare accordingly before heading off on a hike after another hiker had to be airlifted from Lion’s Head.

On Sunday morning a metro Emergency Services helicopter could be seen hovering above Lion’s Head.

Table Mountain National Park’s Merle Collins says a hiker had fractured her ankle and had to be helped off the mountain.

Collins says, “We’ve had a lot of fractured ankles on Lion’s Head for the past couple of weekends. We’re not really sure what the exact reason is, but we’d like to encourage our hikers to wear the correct shoes.”

Collins says there’s more than enough online guides to prepare hiking hopefuls.

“There’s a hiker’s network on the Table Mountain National Park website, you can go to the information on what to wear.”

 

 

Eye Witness News

THABO MBEKI HONORED AS NEW UNISA CHANCELLOR

Unisa Chancellor and former president, Thabo Mbeki. Picture: EWN.

CAPE TOWN – Former president Thabo Mbeki has been inaugurated as the chancellor of the University of South Africa.

Mbeki’s foundation has partnered with the University of South Africa through programmes, including the Thabo Mbeki African Leadership Institute, Thabo Mbeki Presidential Library and South African Democracy Education Trust.

Eye Witness News

Cape Town Bike Expo daring to go haywire

ABOVE: Cape Bike Expo is a celebration of bikers daring to be different. Picture: Dave Abrahams/Iol News


Cape Town – The third annual Cape Bike Expo, this Sunday at Timour Hall Villa in Plumstead, isn’t your conventional motorcycle show of impossibly expensive new models on glitzy display stands. Rather, it’s a celebration of bikers daring to be different.

Yes, there will be new machine on show, all of them glitzy and some impossibly expensive – but most of the bikes you’ll see will be unique, custom-built for – or by – their riders. Mainstream is in the minority here.

Most of the trade stalls at this bike show for hands-on bikers are more technical in nature than you’d expect. It’s about wrapping your ride in colour, making it go faster, changing its style, or creating a new motorcycle out of scrap parts – not necessarily motorcycle parts.

Even the jewellery and biker gear on display at the Cape Bike Expo tends to be more individual than mainstream, more silver and leather than carbon fibre and Gore-tex, more body art than blue-tinted eyewear – but there will be something for everybody, no matter how conventional your taste, and much to learn about what you do to make motorcycle stand out from the crowd.

Strikingly original

The Cape Bike Expo has become a showcase for the minimalist ‘bobber’ style of custom bike building that has quietly built up a following over the past few years. While it started as a revival of the café racer aesthetic of the 1960s – essentially light, agile race bikes for the road – it has been heavily influenced by the post-apocalyptic appearance originated by the Mad Max cult films.

These days, custom bikes wear their engineering on the outside, rather than under chromed covers; while they are often impractical as working motorcycles, the best examples are strikingly original.

Rolling bike show

Unconventional motorcycle shows such as this often attract unconventional motorcyclists, which is why the organisers call it a rolling bike show. Some of the most exciting motorcycles you’ll see at Timour Hall Villa this Sunday will not be on the stands but in the visitors’ parking area, and the display will be constantly changing as riders come and go.

As always, there will be a variety of food and drinks on sale, fun for the kids, biker-rock music to set the mood and an astonishing variety of stalls – but the real show will be in the lower paddock, and the bike you arrive on will be part of it.

The Cape Bike Expo at Timour Hall Villa in St Joan’s Road, Plumstead will be open from 10am to 3pm on Sunday 5 March. Entry will cost you R35 per person at the gate, and includes a metal badge.

 

 

Iol Motoring

TABOO! Man kills ex-business partner; then himself

Meyerton Police are investigating a murder-suicide after two people die.ABOVE: Police Van at the scene in  Meyerton.Police are investigating a murder-suicide after two people die/tThe Citizen


It is not yet known what might have triggered the incident.

Meyerton police spokesperson in south of Johannesburg, Constable Maria Letsele has confirmed that a murder-suicide case has been opened after two people died on Friday in Galloway Street, Sedibeng Ster reports.

A man is said to have visited his ex-business partner at the business premises and shot him multiple times before finally turning the gun on himself. The incident happened around 8:00 in the morning.

Letsele says that details around the murder-suicide are still being investigated as it is not yet known what might have triggered the incident.

Further details will be shared as the investigation unfolds.

UNBELIEVABLE! R250m tax fraud case to go ahead

ABOVE: File photo: Independent Media/Iol News


Durban – A Durban High Court judge has given the State the green light to go ahead with criminal proceedings against a local bookkeeper accused of submitting fraudulent tax refunds totalling more than R250 million.

Judge Mahendra Chetty recently dismissed Vikash Mohan’s application for a stay of prosecution in three separate criminal cases.

Mohan launched his application last April and in June, Judge Mokgere Masipa had granted him interim relief which had the effect of being a temporary stay of prosecution.

The case then went before Judge Chetty for the interim relief to be made final.

Mohan had wanted the cases against him halted pending the completion of investigations by the South African Revenue Services, the SAPS and the Public Protector because – he claimed – he was being singled out and had proof of “a conspiracy involving others”.

But Judge Chetty, in a judgment handed down this month, said Mohan was not “fully candid” with the court when the matter came before Judge Masipa and had not disclosed that one of his cases was already at trial stage in the regional court.

“The issue of disclosure, both by litigants as well as by the legal representatives, who owe a duty at all times to place the full facts before the court, is an essential ingredient in a system designed to achieve a fair and just outcome of a dispute,” the judge said.

Judge Chetty said he would have dismissed the entire application based solely on this.

When Mohan launched his application, he had lodged a complaint with the office of Judge Essa Moosa – the oversight judge for the Directorate for Priority Crime Investigation (the Hawks) – alleging that the State refused to look into information which could exonerate him.

Judge Moosa – who passed away this weekend – had referred the matter to the head of the Hawks for investigation and Mohan had wanted to stay his prosecution until the investigation was complete.

But, Judge Chetty said, while Mohan complained that no investigations had taken place related to the oversight judge’s recommendations, he had “stonewalled” efforts by the SAPS to interview him and obtain an affidavit.

“[He], it seems, wishes to dictate who should be assigned to investigate the matter, how such investigations should be done and that he would be the arbiter as to whether the investigations had been properly concluded,” the judge said.

Judge Chetty said If he were to grant the order, it could have the effect of a “never ending saga in which [Mohan] could indefinitely frustrate the prosecutorial process by adopting the view that no level of investigating would be sufficient or adequate for him”.

The judge said he was not persuaded that his right to a fair trial was being infringed.

Mohan’s application was dismissed and the temporary stay of prosecution he had obtained was discharged.

 

 

 

 

Iol News

Tributes continues to pour in for Judge Essa Moosa

ABOVE: Former High Court judge Essa Moosa died at his home in Cape Town on Sunday/Iol News


Cape Town – President Jacob Zuma, the Democratic Alliance, and the Southern African Clothing and Textile Workers’ Union (Sactwu) were among those paying tribute and expressing deep sadness at the death of former High Court judge Essa Moosa who died at his home in Cape Town on Sunday.

Zuma extended heartfelt condolences on the death of the “seasoned former judge of the Supreme Court of South Africa” and former human rights lawyer.

“We have learned with sadness the passing of one for the country’s renowned human rights activists and former judge of the Supreme Court honourable judge Moosa. His passing is an enormous loss to South Africa of one our seasoned human rights activists. We wish to extend our heartfelt condolences to [the] Moosa family and relatives, our prayers and thoughts are with them during this difficult period. May his soul rest in peace,” Zuma said in a statement.

Democratic Alliance spokeswoman Glynnis Breytenbach also expressed deep sadness at Moosa’s death. “We extend our deepest condolences to his family and friends and our thoughts are with them at this difficult time,” Breytenbach said in a statement.

“Judge Moosa contributed greatly to our country in numerous ways. He was a human rights lawyer who challenged apartheid violations such as detention without trial. He played a vital role in the establishment of our democracy when he served on the ANC’s constitutional committee which supported the party’s negotiation team for the establishment of a democratic South Africa.

“He will be remembered for being a founding member of the National Association of Democratic Lawyers where he chaired its human rights committee. He practised as an attorney until December 1997 and was appointed as a judge of the Western Cape High Court in 1998 where he served for 13 years before retiring in February 2011.

“In 2014, he was appointed to the Office of the Directorate for Priority Crime Investigation (DPCI) as an investigating judge and made headway into investigating complaints from and against members of the Hawks. The DA thanks judge Moosa for his immense contribution to our country. Rest in peace,” Breytenbach said.

in another statement, Sactwu general secretary Andre Kriel said Moosa was regarded as a role model for tens of thousands of clothing and textile workers.

“We call on the City of Cape Town to, with haste, and as part of our decolonisation project erect a memorial statue in his and all our honour in the Company Gardens in Cape Town.

“Our people who have displayed unwavering integrity to our cause of a just nation free from prejudice against immigrants and steadfast against corruption must be duly respected,” Kriel said.

Moosa was to be buried in Mowbray in Cape Town on Sunday afternoon.

 

Iol News

RETRO: Full List of Metro FM Award winners

Nasty C. Picture: sahiphopmagABOVE: Nasty C. Picture: sahiphopmag/The Citizen

This is the full list of the Metro FM award winners.

Here is a full list of all the winners:

Best New Artist
Nasty C: Bad Hair Extensions

Best Compilation Album
DJ Qness: Essential Selections

Best Collaboration
Ms Pru: Ameni

Best Urban Dance Album
Henry Philemon: Man of Definition

Best Urban Gospel Album
Dr Tumi: Love & Grace

Best Produced Album
Sjava: Isina Muva

Best Music Video
Du Boiz: Dope Dreams

Best R&B Single
Amanda Black: Separate

Best African Pop Album
Musa: Mr Serious

Best Dance Album
Mobi Dixon: Live The Music

Best Styled Artist or Group
Mafikizolo

Best Female Album
Kelly Khumalo: My Truth

Best Male Album
Nasty C: Bad Hair Extensions

Best Kwaito Single
L’Vovo: Amatin Tin

Best Hip Hop Album
Nasty C: Bad Hair Extensions

Best Duo/Group Album
Durban’s Finest: Reloaded

Best Remix
Prince Kaybee: Don’t Give Up

Best Hit Single
Riky Rick: Sidlukotini

One Africa Award
Vee Mampeezy: I Do

Listeners Choice Award
Amanda Black

Song of the Year

Nasty C

 

 

 

The Citizen

%d bloggers like this: